Sari is like the national dress of all women in India. One of the prettiest cloth a woman can adorn. Worn over a petticoat with a fitted upper garment called a blouse or choli.
Trivia about sari :
The word sari originated from Sanskrit which means ‘strip of cloth’. Traced back to as early as Indus Valley civilisation, which flourished around 2800 – 1800 BC around the western part of the Indian Subcontinent. In it’s current form sari has been worn for hundreds of years. The first blouse/choli worn as early as 10 century AD were only front covering. The back kept bare was covered with the sari pallu. Did you know ? There are actually 80 recorded ways to wear a sari!!
How to wear a sari :
Start wearing the Sari by tucking its plain/upper end into the petticoat. Make sure that the lower end of the sari is touching the floor, and the whole length of the sari should be coming on the left hand side. Now wrap the sari around yourself once, with the sari now coming back in the front, on your right side. Make 5/7 pleats of 5 inches each, starting at the tucked in end. Gather the pleats, neatly, ensuring that the Lower end of the pleats are even. Use a safety pin to keep them from scattering. Tuck the pleats in the petticoat at the waist. Drape the remaining fabric around yourself from left to right and over the shoulder. Secure the end portion on your shoulder with a safety pin. Think of the sari as a evening gown and wear it long so that only the tips of your toes show!
Add some style :
1. Wear bangles with your sari to draw attention away from your bare arms.
2. Women and Jewels seem to be synonymous terms Chandelier earrings would look perfect to complete your ensemble for a night out. In the day, keep your jewellery light and maybe restricted to studs or hoops.
3. A bindi adds that ethnic touch. Choose your bindi according to your face cut. Long face cut can go for round bindis. A round or square face will look good with bindis having some length.
4. Although the petticoat should blend in with the sari, your blouse can be of contrast color. Choose any style from the following images and be sure you will make heads turns.
5. Decorative hair accessories can look fabulous with a sari.
The sari is one of the prettiest outfit of an Indian woman. It has the ability to add that ‘oomph’ factor!! Wear it to office, to a dinner party, to a lunch date, or just everyday to feel and look beautiful at any time!!